Microsoft is releasing a new version of Windows 10 S for the enterprise
Back in May, Microsoft announced Windows 10 S, a version of Windows 10 Pro that is locked down to the Windows Store. Most of the other Pro features remain, such as Hyper-V. When it was announced, it was squarely aimed at educational customers, but yesterday at Ignite 2017, the company announced that a range of Windows 10 S PCs are coming aimed at businesses, or more specifically, frontline workers.
Microsoft said that it will be targeting the broader enterprise use case in the future, but for now, it’s focused on the frontline worker. With that in mind, the firm is working on a new version of Windows 10 S that’s based on Enterprise, aptly called Windows 10 Enterprise in S mode, which will be made available in spring 2018.
Of course, it’s already possible to lock down a version of Windows 10 to only install apps from the Store, so this is going to be something new. Just like users can upgrade from S to Pro, they’ll be able to upgrade from Enterprise in S mode to Enterprise. And the differences between the two Windows 10 S SKUs should be the same as the differences between Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise.
Since it’s not coming until the Spring, it won’t be available by the time that the devices announced yesterday launch. Neither will the availability of business SKUs of Office 365 in the Windows Store, I’ve been told. Those should be coming shortly after though.
TMS Component Pack v8.8 released with 3 new components
TMS has released Version 8.8 Component pack for VCL development using Delphi. The components range in vast improvements that allow a Delphi developer to easily drop a component on the form to reduce the amount of coding necessary to get the application to market.
TMS Component Pack v8.8 released with 3 new components: http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/news.asp
- New : TAdvDBListBox v126.96.36.199 : Listbox control with embedded filter + insert data capability that can be bound to a dataset field.
- New : Automatic button column type when setting Columns[x].Editor := edButton in TAdvColumnGrid
- New : Hover background, text & border color capability in TAdvResponsiveList
- New : Name property added to TInspectorItem in TMS InspectorBars
- New : InspectorPanel.Items.Item[Name] added to access items by name in TMS InspectorBars
- New : Planner.GridControl.BorderColor: TColor property added in T(DB)Planner
- New : Enabled property added at item level in TTodoList
- New : Property EnableWheel added in TAdvComboBox
- New : ListLeft.Caption, ListRight.Caption properties added in TAdvDualListBox
- New : Lookup, resizable and save function in design time editor in TPictureContainer
- New : Label added in TAdvMultiButtonEdit
- New : Property AutoCheck added in TAdvOfficeRadioButton
- New : Automatic button column type when setting Columns[x].Editor := edButton in TDBAdvGrid
- New : TAdvHighLightLabel v188.8.131.52 : Label that allows to highlight specific words in the label text in different colors.
- New : TAdvTouchSpinEdit v184.108.40.206 : Spin edit control with spin buttons left and right from the edit control to allow easy up/down button access from touch screens.
Create modern-looking & feature-rich Windows applications faster with over 400 components in one money and time saving bundle for Delphi 7, 2007, 2009, 2010, XE, XE2, XE3, XE4, XE5, XE6, XE7, XE8, 10 Seattle, 10.1 Berlin, 10.2 Tokyo & C++Builder 2007, 2009, 2010, XE, XE2, XE3, XE4, XE5, XE6, XE7, XE8, 10 Seattle, 10.1 Berlin, 10.2 Tokyo
Idera – Free Tool – PowerShell Scripts for SQL Server
Idera is offering a free tool of Powershell scripts for Microsoft SQL server. You can simply your SQL Server Administration with 89 free Powershell scripts by simply providing some information and it is an amazing assortment of scripts. The scripts will allow you to work on your server providing you with some outstanding quick pieces that will enhance what you do on a daily basis.
- 89 example scripts for managing SQL Server objects
- Initialize PowerShell SQLPS module and work with databases
- Scripts for Analysis, Integration, and Reporting services
- Experimental support for SQL Server 2016
- New scripts for exploring In-Memory databases and query store features
Powershell script break down
- Connect to a server instance, manage databases and publish scripts
- Work with policies and SQL Server logs
- Manage security and backups
- Create and manage SQL Server jobs
- Get extended event information
- Connect to an Analysis Services instance
- Get connection information
- Get a list of databases
- Backup databases and remove old backups
- Restore a database
- Start and stop services
- Get package information
- Provision a catalog
- Publish a project
- Modify catalog settings
- Start or stop services
- Get instance information
- Backup and restore encryption keys
- Get configuration information
- Get event log information
In-Memory Databases (SQL2014 and SQL2016)
- Get overall utilization
- Get size on disk
- Get detailed utilization by table
- Get checkpoint size
Query Plan (SQL2016)
- Set Query Plan desired state
- Set Query Plan data retention maximum size
- Get Query Plan information
- Get Query Store status
10 Most Important Feature Improvements to Apple’s iOS 11
Apple iOS 11 is now available to download and install from the Apple store. There is a new update released 11.0.1 so most likely there were some software glitch that needed immediate repair.
List of 10 improvements
- Apple’s iOS 11 includes a new Files app that brings together all of the files and folders stored across a user’s Apple devices, Dropbox accounts and more. The app provides access to iCloud Drive, the company’s cloud data storage service, and can help users find files on other devices.
- Apple’s iPad support gains several improvements in iOS 11, including a better Dock app. The Dock now can stretch across the screen to include more apps that can be swapped out when users swipe across the Dock. It also displays apps that have been opened recently and used on the iPhone or Mac.
- Apple iOS 11 has improved Apple Pencil support, making it easier to mark up files and folders and access notes. iOS 11 also includes support for inline drawing on e-mails that can be sent to others. Also, scanning and signing support comes standard.
- Apple’s App Store gets a revamp in iOS 11. The App Store’s new design, the company says, will make it easier for find apps and search for programs related to specific topics. There’s also a dedicated Games tab, suggesting video games still are an important attraction for Apple’s mobile users.
- Apple’s Camera app has a modified design that includes new filters to add flair to photos. According to Apple, the Camera app enables better portrait photos with skin tones “more natural.” Photo compression is also improved, reducing file sizes by 50 percent without sacrificing image quality.
- Apple’s virtual assistant Siri has gotten an update in iOS 11. Siri now can immediately translate words or phrases from English to several different languages including Spanish, Italian and Mandarin. Siri also can learn user music preferences and play only tracks that it knows the user will like. Also, Siri can better anticipate what users want and proactively deliver content and make suggestions.
- Apple’s Control Center has been rebuilt in iOS 11. Users can customize Control Center to include access to apps used most often and remove apps they don’t use. Control Center also now works with Apple’s 3D Touch feature, so users can access more controls by varying the amount of pressure they place on the screen.
- The Lock Screen also has been reworked in iOS 11 to provide better access to the notifications users care about. By swiping up from anywhere on the screen, users can see their most recent notifications as well as missed notifications from both Apple and third-party apps.
- In a nod to the one-thumbed typist, Apple has added one-touch support to its keyboard. Users simply touch and hold the emoji or globe keys and the keyboard will shift to a one-handed mode. Apple says it should be easier to type with only one finger, with all the keys close enough to type out messages.
- The upcoming iPhone X doesn’t have a physical home button, and iOS 11 has been designed with that in mind, including new gestures. Any gestures that relied on the home button are gone in the iPhone X version—accessing iOS 11 for iPhone X’s multitasking feature now requires swiping up from the display. Swiping down now brings up the Control Panel, and screenshots are done differently.
Camtasia 9.1 is now available
The latest Camtasia is here with faster video rendering, free video assets, and new features that make it easy for anyone to create professional-looking videos. One of the best video capturing software tools available to create webinars or technical videos for internal usage.
The Camtasia product has gotten mature and better over the years. The latest upgrade has the features listed below but based on experience you can do so much with the software and a Blue Yeti Microphone.
It is worth the investment if you have decided to bring your company’s knowledge into a new realm of possible business. There is a free trial that is available that you can use for 30 days. This allows you to create a webinar to grasp what Camtasia can do for you. Highly recommended from Baron Software.
Camtasia now takes full advantage of your computer’s 64-bit processor. Get more responsive performance, faster rendering times, and improved stability—even on your most complex projects.
Now, what you see is what you get. Every effect and element in your videos can be dropped and edited directly in the preview window.
Import an entire PowerPoint presentation or specific slides into your video projects. Turn your presentation into a polished video that can be viewed over and over again.
Windows and Mac—better together
Camtasia now has one, fresh design across both platforms. It’s easier than ever to work on videos with others since recordings and projects can be shared between Windows and Mac.
Bring static images on your mobile device to life by highlighting your product or brand with video effects and text overlays.
Record your iOS screen for training and app demos and share them directly to Camtasia for video editing.
Apple’s iOS 11 kills old 32-bit iPhone and iPad apps
Well the time has come to begin the end of the 32 bit application. What this means to the general public is that certain older applications may no longer work if you install the latest iOS on your iPhone. Owners of iPhones and iPads who install the latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system will find that some older apps will stop working.
Android still allows for 32 and 64 bit applications to co-exist as well as Windows/Linux but Apple will start to force developers to upgrade their application.
What does this mean to the general public ?
Dropping support for 32-bit software lets Apple streamline its operating system and helps it run more quickly since it no longer needs to load software libraries to make sense of the older programs.
A 64-bit application signifies how much data a processor can handle at once – the larger the figure, the faster a computer can potentially operate. That is in theory but in life you have developers that sometimes do not properly code and you end up with a buggy application.
Microsoft is the biggest example of keeping legacy programs working and it is to keep as many things as compatible as possible for as long as possible. Is a 32 bit application that bad, not really and it all depends on what is being done with the application. If a 32 bit application is processing XML files for distribution to a SQL server than it will speed up in a 64 bit world but it still works.
End of the party
Most people really do not know the difference and may not realize their applications were 32 bit until they upgrade the iOS operating system. Than they may be in for a shock when it no longer works. This is the reality and Apple is forcing everyone to go with them if you want to use their equipment.
Embarcadero Academy Debuts with Online Courses
A provider of cross-platform application developer productivity tools, today announced the launch of Embarcadero Academy, an online school for developers of all levels. The Academy, operated in partnership with Embarcadero by CodePower, offers a wide variety of expert-led courses in Delphi and C++Builder skills and technologies.
Finally Embarcardo / Idera have decided to get into the possible educational on line webinars to improve the software developers of Delphi or C++ Builder.
Embarcadero Academy is launching with approximately 15 courses, and has an additional 15 in development. The curriculum, which spans beginner to advanced courses, will initially focus on Delphi and C++Builder capabilities such as language and framework skills, and will continue to grow in range and scope of languages. Full courses run from several days to weeks or months, with mini-courses that last an hour to several hours.
It is worth the cost in getting tools to improve the Embarcadero user base and it is going in the positive direction. Through November 30, Embarcadero is sponsoring a free, five-week “Introduction to Android Mobile Development with Delphi,” typically a $199 value. Developers can learn more and sign up here to receive the free promo, or enter the code ANDROIDINTROFREE at any checkout screen.
Embarcadero provides tools that solve application developer productivity problems. The company’s products allow users to design, build, and run applications from a single code base across all platforms. A community of more than three million C++ and Delphi users worldwide rely on Embarcadero’s award-winning products to deliver critical enterprise applications. Embarcadero is a division of Idera, Inc. To learn more, visit www.embarcadero.com.
TMS Subscription Manager
TMS Subscription Manager v2.0 supports TMS ALL-ACCESS, TMS VCL Subscription, TMS Business Subscription, TMS Component Studio, TMS FMX Component Studio, TMS FNC Component Studio and TMS IntraWeb Component Studio.
The latest Subscription manager is explained in the video & on the blog https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/blog.asp?post=421 that TMS Subscription Manager v2.0 is designed.
Perhaps in a later version, individual products might get supported, but at this moment it isn’t and individual purchases can be obtained from the “My products” page.
As per TMS product you will get a description, a description, link to the product webpage, info on latest available version and release date, info on your last download version and download date and info on your last product install version and date. With colors, the status of each product is indicated.
In white are products ready for download, in yellow products ready for install, in orange products for which you can meanwhile download a newer version and in green the products for which the latest version was installed, so you are up-to-date for.
If you have TMS premier TMS ALL-ACCESS subscription, you can much easier find your way in the many products by filtering. You can open & close per product technology, you can filter to see for example only all installed products for which there is a new version, you can perform a search in product name or product description.
If you perform a search on ‘grid’, you’ll see TMS have a grid for VCL in the TMS Component Pack, a grid for FireMonkey in the TMS FMX UI Pack, a grid for cross-framework development in TMS FNC UI Pack and a grid for web application development in TMS IntraWeb Component Pack.
The new TechSmith Camtasia is yours
If you own the latest version of TechSmith Camtasia you are eligible to download the latest update 9.1 for Windows or 3.1 for the Mac.
Because you own Camtasia 9 for Windows and Camtasia 3 for Mac, you get this update to Camtasia version 9.1/3.1 for FREE. See the new features below, and also check out our new iOS mobile apps, TechSmith Motion™ and TechSmith Capture™!
Here’s what’s new in Camtasia
This new effect shows off your video in a computer monitor or smartphone “frame”. Camtasia’s library of special effects is a great way to add professional polish to your videos.
This new streamlined import process brings your slides directly into Camtasia. No need to re-record presentations or export slides as images.
|Easily edit the properties of the Intro and Lower Third video assets included with Camtasia to match your personal style or your organization’s branding.
What Camtasia does for you
Choose your footage
Create a great looking video, even if you’ve never made one before. Camtasia makes it easy to record your screen or import your own video and audio files (MP4, WMV, MOV, AVI, etc.).
Make your edits
The multi-track timeline expands to fit all your projects. Split clips into two, remove portions of a clip, or delete one entirely. You can also add music, photos, narration, and more.
Create your video
Anyone can make and share engaging videos with Camtasia. Upload your videos to Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, or Screencast.com. Make videos from start to finish in hours, not days.
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE
Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows is a simple, standalone agent that delivers backup and recovery for Windows servers and workstations running in the public cloud, for physical Windows servers and workstations, and endpoints running on‑premises.
It delivers all-new functionality to give you features and capabilities unheard of in a FREE desktop backup, and data recovery solution:
||Active full backups: Meet your company policy by scheduling the periodic active full backup in backup job
||Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure: Restore or migrate on‑premises, Windows-based physical server and endpoint backups directly into Microsoft Azure
||Windows Server 2016 support: Get full support for Microsoft Windows Server 2016
You can visit the web site to read more on this amazing tool. Full support for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016. Free Windows backup for desktops and laptops. So much more is available for you and your business.
Now just to be clear, for extra functionality, Veeam Agent for Windows must be coupled with their Backup & Replication, which adds complexity and extra cost. Yes, these agents could be used as standalone solutions, but their functionality is limited by design. That is where the word free comes in. You get what you paid for but it is a start to test out and see if Veeam does fit your business as well as budget.
Now you can go with Acronis or Unitrends but as you add on servers, workstations, etc. the cost alone can hit you hard. You must test out the software for the best overall solution and security for your business. Backups are extremely important in this time of need due to the amount of computer hackers and thieves. Our recommendation is to test out each piece for your location to see what is the best overall solution.