How to fix setup errors with SAP Crystal Reports 2016
It is always a small burden to install or execute the SAP Crystal Reports 2016 updates or service packs on a Windows 10 machine. Things that just drive you crazy to put in a simple update or patch throws you off the track in so many minor ways.
Using Crystal Reports 2016 with Visual Studio is a robust reporting tool that you can access information from your SQL database or even Microsoft Access. You can also purchase the standalone tool allowing you to build custom reports that you can load into the Crystal Server for multiple users to gain reporting.
A few fixes for updating
Some of the minor “dumb” things that can be fixed in seconds to complete your task are :
- Always execute the patch or service pack with Administrator rights otherwise you will get the misleading “Ports … must be opened”. At first you think the AntiVirus or Firewall are using the ports but the error is very misleading.
- After you start the update the next possible problem could be the “suppressed reboot” error thus failing the update. This is another misleading problem and this could be left over from any previous problems with executing the update. Following the steps below to solve this issue
The following resolution involves editing the registry. Using the Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall the Microsoft Windows operating system. Use the Registry Editor at your own risk. It is strongly recommended that you make a backup copy of the registry files before you edit the registry. For information on how to edit the registry key, view the ‘Changing Keys And Values’ online Help topic in the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
- Click Start > Run. The Run Dialogue box appears.
- Type “regedit” in the Open field. Click OK. The Registry Editor appears.
- Navigate to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
- Double click on the PendingFileRenameOperations
- Delete the content of this value
- Click OK > Yes > OK
- Launch the installer and no reboot is required
So this resolves installing any Crystal Reports 2016 update/patch/service pack.
Now if SAP can only get the patch or service pack to install quicker.